Is there anything better than walking out of an apple orchard with a bucket full of hand-picked apples?
We haven’t been apple-picking yet this year, but I’m excited to go within the next few weeks.
I always rely on Dan to grab the really high up pristine spheres, while I gingerly pick through the banged up bottom shelf for a diamond in the rough.
OK, maybe the best part is actually getting them home and realizing, uh oh, I need to make all things apple. Like now.
I always say I’m going to make an apple pie, but that still hasn’t happened yet.
That’s where these Apple Pie Avocado Toasts with Easy Date Caramel come in.
These toasts are bursting with apple pie flavor without any bake or cook time, and they’re versatile enough to eat for any meal of the day!
I’ve been through a lot of different apple phases in my lifetime.
Growing up, I was always a Pink Lady kind of a girl.
Then I went through a pretty hard Honeycrisp phase in my early twenties.
Followed by a recent Opal apple fling.
Lately, though, I’ve sworn myself to Fujis.
All of this, though, was before I cut open these Pink Pearl apples that I picked up at Mom’s Organic Market.
They weren’t much to look at when I lackadaisically tossed them into a produce bag and into my produce-packed cart.
I was honestly kind of miffed that I couldn’t find my beloved Fujis so I saw the “Pink” and thought, “Ah, must be similar to a Pink Lady”…second best thing.
So my camera, avocado toasts, and I were totally surprised when I cut open the Pink Pearl apple to reveal…pink?!
Instant color scheme upgrade.
One of the things I try to keep in mind when photographing is to “go with the flow”, which is really hard for someone like me who likes to control…pretty much everything.
Except the color of my apples.
Those kind of surprises make my day.
The apple-avocado combination is one I keep coming back to each year!
Enjoy these Apple Pie Avocado Toasts as a fun fall breakfast, snack, or dessert.
The method of prepping the avocado I share below might seem a bit fussy, but trust me, it’s totally worth it.
I learned this quick and easy trick from Love & Lemons and found that the lemon and sea salt adds so much depth of flavor to the avocado toast that I’ve never gone back.
Give it a try and you’ll see what I mean.
If you make this recipe, you will have lots of leftover date caramel, which is a good problem to have this time of year!
Some ideas for other ways to devour it are:
Spread onto apple rounds with peanut butter and chocolate chips/raisins.
Drizzled onto shakes, smoothies, or your coffee.
Spooned onto pancakes in place of maple syrup.
Paired with desserts for the perfect caramel combo.
By the spoonful.
If you make these Apple Pie Avocado Toasts with Easy Date Caramel, let me know!
Take a picture and tag it #floraandvino on Instagram and come say hi @flora _and_vino.
Love this post and want more? Go to my homepage and subscribe to get updates delivered right to your inbox!
- 15-20 soft, gooey Medjool dates (soak in boiling water for 10 minutes to soften
- ½ cup water + 1 TBS increments until you reach desired consistency
- 4 slices of bread, toasted (GF if needed)
- 2 avocados
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- Himalayan sea salt
- 1 large or 2 small apples, pick your favorite! (I used Pink Pearl)
- ½ cup walnuts (optional to toast them for 8 minutes at 350 degrees but I used raw walnuts in this recipe)
- 1 TBS hemp hearts
- To make the easy date caramel, add your gooey dates to a food processor and blend until they are finely chopped.
- Add the water and blend until it turns into a date "paste". Continue to add water in 1-2 TBS increments and pulse until the paste turns into a smooth runny liquid. *See note
- Transfer date caramel to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- Slice your avocados in half and score the inside with a knife.
- Squeeze a bit of fresh lemon into each avocado halve and sprinkle with a bit of Himalayan sea salt and set aside to marinade.
- Meanwhile, toast your bread and core and slice your apples into thin wedges. **See note
- To assemble the Apple Pie Avocado Toasts, scoop out the lemon sea salt avocado mixture and smash ½ avocado on each toast with a fork. Top with sliced apple, walnuts, and drizzle with easy date caramel. Garnish with hemp hearts.
- Serve immediately!
**If you're preparing the ingredients to assemble later, toss your apple in lemon juice to prevent browning.