You guys, we need to talk.
Have you ever tried sweet potato on toast?
It’s one of those combinations that surprises you just how good it is.
Complex carbs on carbs, heck yes.
If you have, you’re going to love my latest chickpea-free hummus spread, and if you haven’t, get ready to toast with an open mind.
I created this Chickpea-Free Purple Sweet Potato Hummus to have a little something for everyone. For toasters, dippers, snackers, and party-ers!
Aside from being a total babe (look at that color!!!), it’s naturally oil-free, gluten free, and paleo, and comes together with less than ten ingredients you probably have on hand.
I had a few readers reach out to recently me with requests for a legume-free hummus because of preference and/or allergy.
It’s true that legumes do tend to rule the world of dips, so I wanted to make a playful alternative that’s a bit easier on tender tummies.
A playful PURPLE alternative.
The beginnings of this “hummus” started out one humble Toast Tuesday when I roughly smashed sweet potato on toast, and garnished with a squeeze of lemon, spice, Himalayan sea salt, and black pepper.
This recipe is based on that simple concept, just stylized a bit more into a creamy dip you can save for later.
If you don’t share in my obsessions or can’t find purple sweet potatoes near you, no worries!
Substitute whatever color sweet potato you’d like to make this spread.
Depending on the size of the sweet potato(es) you use for this recipe, you might have some leftover purple sweet potato mash.
If you do, I highly recommend making my Purple Sweet Potato Overnight Oats!
You’ll love waking up to a pop of purple.
This Chickpea-Free Purple Sweet Potato Hummus is so versatile- you can eat it any way!
Slather it on toast like I did with some fun garnishes for your Toast Tuesday, or serve it as a classic spread!
I think it would be gorgeous in jewel-tones (in purple or classic orange-sweet pot!) as a party appetizer or dip.
It’s also great piled on veggies, crackers, or eaten by the spoonful.
If you make these Chickpea-Free Purple Sweet Potato Hummus Toast, let me know!
Take a picture and tag it #floraandvino on Instagram and come say hi @flora _and_vino.
Love this post and want more? Go to my homepage and subscribe to get updates delivered right to your inbox!
- CHICKPEA FREE PURPLE SWEET POTATO HUMMUS
- 1 cup cooked and roughly mashed purple sweet potatoes* (or any color sweet potato of choice)
- 2 TBS runny tahini
- ½ lemon, squeezed
- 1 garlic cloves, minced (or sub ⅛ tsp garlic powder)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Himalayan sea salt and black pepper to taste
- filtered water or unsweetened almond milk, as needed
- TOAST PAIRING:
- ~1/4 cup Chickpea-Free Purple Sweet Potato Hummus
- Toasted GF bread
- Optional for serving: pine nuts, chopped parsley, hemp hearts, and ground cumin
- To cook the sweet potatoes, scrub and peel them, then cut the flesh into large cubes. Fill a pan with an inch of water and bring to a boil. Add the sweet potato cubes to a steamer basket and steam in the pan for 7-10 minutes until the flesh is very tender when pierced with a fork. Drain, place the cooked sweet potato in a bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Add the mashed purple sweet potato, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and cumin to a high speed blender or food processor and pulse until well-combined and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed to recombine.
- Season with Himalayan sea salt and black pepper and taste to mixture. Add more lemon for brightness, cumin for spice, and tahini for creaminess. If the mixture is too thick, add filtered water or unsweetened almond milk in 1 TBS increments to reach desired consistency.
- To assemble your toast, spread ~1/4 cup Chickpea-Free Purple Sweet Potato Hummus onto toasted bread. Serve with optional pine nuts, parsley, hemp hearts, and a sprinkle of cumin.
- Store leftover Chickpea-Free Purple Sweet Potato Hummus in the fridge for up to one week.