I always have a little trouble letting go of Christmas…anyone else?
We usually leave our tree decorated until New Years Day and then I try to do the disassembly as quickly as possible to avoid those poignant pangs of nostalgia.
Like ripping off a bandaid.
But for now it’s still standing, proud and present-less in our living room.
If you’re having a little trouble letting go of the red and green too, this Evergreen Smoothie Bowl is for you!
This nutritious blend of leafy greens, antioxidant rich berries and cacao, and protein is the perfect breakfast to reset and refuel after a big holiday weekend or whenever!
I woke up this morning to a very cold world outside.
Not exactly the kind of weather that you would associate with smoothie bowls, but I still crave them anyway.
Luckily, my parents got me a spiffy new L.L.Bean floor-length robe in eggplant purple for Christmas that I’ve had considerable trouble taking off since.
My family knows that I’m a robe person.
If you need me I’ll be wrapped up in purple polyester, slurping up spoonfuls of evergreen.
If you’re wondering how I achieved this deep “evergreen” color, I’ll tell you my tips.
To be honest, every time I make this bowl it’s a different shade of green, which really is part of the fun of it all.
To achieve the verdant shade in this post, try adding lighter colored berries and don’t be afraid to really heap in the frozen spinach.
I’m talking salad-worthy quantities of spinach in your smoothie bowl. But don’t worry, you won’t taste a thing!
For a sweeter smoothie bowl, add more frozen cherries, and for lower sugar, stick to a blend of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries.
The cacao powder is optional, but I love adding it in for a superfood boost of chocolate-y flavor.
Bookmark this recipe as your go-to “green bowl” of 2018!
This bowl has been my rock the past few months.
I whip it out in the morning after a late night, a chocolate attack, or a stressful week (or sometimes all of the above) and it never fails to make me feel refreshed and revitalized.
Enjoy this Evergreen Smoothie Bowl anytime you’re craving your greens first thing in the morning.
I love mine topped with pomegranate seeds, shredded coconut, and whatever granola I’m currently obsessed with.
If you make this Evergreen Smoothie Bowl, let me know!
Give me a shout on instagram @flora_and_vino and use hashtag #floraandvino and tell me what you think!
Love this post and want more? Go to my homepage and subscribe to get updates delivered right to your inbox!
- 1½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop vanilla or chocolate protein powder (optional)
- 1 TBS raw cacao powder
- 1 TBS peanut butter powder or sub ½ TBS nut butter
- 1-2 tsp hemp hearts (optional)
- 1 cup frozen berries & cherries (cherries, raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries)
- 1 cup steamed and frozen cauliflower
- 2 giant handfuls of frozen spinach
- Optional for topping: pomegranate seeds, shredded coconut, granola, almond butter
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender in the order listed* except the frozen spinach and blend until well combined and creamy. Pause to scrape down the sides as needed to recombine.
- Add the frozen spinach and pulse again until the spinach is completely purred and the smoothie bowl is a vibrant green color*.
- Pour into a bowl and serve immediately with pomegranate seeds, shredded coconut, granola, and almond butter.
**On color variations-- blueberries/blackberries/cherries will give the bowl a more purple hue and raspberries/strawberries will produce a lighter mossy green color