Let’s set the scene.
It’s a rainy overcast day here in Virginia with a steady drizzle that’s here to stay.
Not a good photography day, but a good “let’s check off all of the mundane chores I put off all week” kind of a day.
Usually I don’t like the rain, but today it feels peaceful and reflective, like a soothing mental bath before the week ahead.
With every drip drop pitter patter it’s paving the way for new possibilities, new opportunities, new goals, new eats….
Eats like this Lentil & Winter Squash Cauliflower Rice Power Bowl.
It’s got a grain-free/gluten-free cauliflower “rice” base, protein-rich lentils, roasted winter vegetables, and a creamy oil-free tahini dressing.
Have you tried red kuri squash before?
I shared trials of this bowl a few weeks back on Instagram and asked you guys to name your favorite winter squash for inclusion in this bowl.
Red kuri squash popped up more than any other variety!
You guys are the coolest.
It’s like you knew that I was dying to sneak this gorgeous squash onto the blog before spring comes and we’re squash-less until next season.
So red kuri squash is smooth and creamy and kind of tastes like chestnuts.
Most notably, though, it has the most gorgeous vibrant red-orange flesh and interior that only deepens when baking.
The first time I threw this combination together it was way too late on a Sunday night.
I’m used to eating a late dinner (guilty of doing an 8 PM dinner usually, after my workout!), but this was late, even for me.
I had just finished a grueling shopping trip, carried way too many bags of produce up the three levels to our condo kitchen, and realized nothing was prepared.
Luckily, I was able to use Cece’s Veggie Noodle Co. Organic Riced Cauliflower to make the prep for this bowl super simple.
I paired it with protein-packed lentils, my favorite roasted veggies, and an oil-free tahini dressing spiked with nutritional yeast for a bit of a cheesy flavor.
If you can’t find Cece’s Veggie Noodle Co. Organic Riced Cauliflower near you, try making your own by following my instructions from this post.
Enjoy this Lentil & Winter Squash Cauliflower Rice Power Bowl as an easy option for workweek meals.
It’s perfect to meal prep in advance for weekday meals, but also easy enough to tackle on the fly after a long day.
If I can pull this together during a serious post-grocery hanger episode, I have absolute faith that you can too, no matter what your day throws at you.
If you don’t have red kuri squash on hand, I recommend using butternut squash (peeled) and delicata (unpeeled) for equally delicious results.
Any variety will work so pick your favorite!
If you make these Lentil & Winter Squash Cauliflower Rice Power Bowl, I want to hear about it. I’d love to see how your bowls turned out!
Give me a shout on instagram @flora_and_vino and use hashtag #floraandvino to show me your creations!
For more power bowl recipes, check out my Delicata Pesto Quinoa Power Bowl and Forbidden Rice Power Bowls with Orange Maple Miso Dressing.
Love this post and want more? Go to my homepage and subscribe to get updates delivered right to your inbox!
- avocado oil spray
- 3 cups brussel sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 small red kuri squash (or sub any winter squash), halved, deseeded, and cut into ½" half moons (skin on is fine!)
- 1 package Cece's Veggie Noodle Co. Organic Rice Cauliflower*
- ¼ diced white onion
- Himalayan sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 15 oz can red or brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup runny tahini
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- 1 TBS nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup filtered water + more to reach desired consistency
- handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add the trimmed and halved brussel sprouts and winter squash to the baking pan and spray lightly with avocado oil (optional) and season with Himalayan sea salt and black pepper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until brussel sprouts are lightly browned and winter squash is fork tender.
- While the vegetables are roasting, prepare your cauliflower rice. Spray a nonstick skillet with a bit of avocado oil and heat over medium.** Once warm, add the riced cauliflower and diced onion and season with a bit of salt and pepper. Cover and allow to "steam" for 5-7 minutes, until cauliflower rice is lightly browned and softened. Set aside until ready for use.
- Drain and rinse your canned lentils if you haven't already done so. Warm them in a skillet over medium for several minutes or microwave for 30 seconds.
- To make the tahini dressing, add the tahini, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and filtered water to a high speed blender and blend until smooth, adding more water as needed to reach desired consistency.***
- To assemble the power bowls, scoop a heaping cup of cauliflower rice into a bowl and top with warm lentils, and roasted brussel sprouts and winter squash. Top with tahini dressing and garnish with a big handful of fresh cilantro. Serve immediately.
- Store leftovers separately in the fridge for reassembly. Leftovers keep for 3-5 days.
**If OF, try subbing a few TBS of veggie broth and check pan frequently for signs of drying/sticking. If this happens, add more veggie broth in 1 TBS increments.
***Alternatively, you can whisk by hand with a fork, but I found the nutritional yeast breaks down a little better in a blender.
This post is brought to you by Cece’s Veggie Noodles Co., but all words and eats are my own. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that keep me hungry!