Ah, sweet potatoes. My love is blind when it comes to these starchy sweet root veggies.
Whenever my mom made them for dinner, I would cheer, and my sister would groan. She didn’t like all of those “strings” she said.
She has since changed her feeling towards sweet potatoes. But I haven’t. Because I still ADORE them.
When I discovered that they also come in shades of purple and white, I might have neglected the jeweled orange yams for just a bit.
But I think they understand. I’ll always come back.
I’ve been known to pick up vegetables JUST because of their unique color, so these sweet potatoes always end up in my cart if I find them during the grocery haul.
I have been able to find this brand at Whole Foods most weeks this fall and winter. Look for them September through April.
They take a little longer to bake because their flesh is firmer and thicker, but it’s so worth the wait.
They’re slightly denser than regular sweet potatoes and resemble texture more like that of a yam.
Hey, I’m a yam fan, too.
That moment when you slice open the skin to reveal a fluffy amethyst interior, you know all is well.
Aside from being absolutely gorgeous and delicious, they’re high in antioxidants and Vitamin A and C.
If you haven’t tried Tandoori Masala seasoning yet, it’s life changing.
The spice blend is commonly used in Indian cooking, but I use it whenever I can. It’s my favorite spice to throw on chickpeas for a little flair and spice.
I wanted to play off the purple and pair these with a vibrant colored sauce, and it just so happened that I had this Turmeric Tahini Dressing prepared in the fridge from my Green Macro Bowls.
And, FYI, sweet potatoes and tahini is always a good idea.
Stuffing sweet potatoes is a wonderful, cheap, easy, and filling plant-based meal that comes together in 20 minutes flat.
This dish is perfect to share with friends to impress them with your exotic eats, and for easy weeknight meals.
Or, alternatively, to make for yourself and munch on all week. (Which is what I plan to do most of the time.)
I hope the pop of color brightens your plate and day like it did mine!
If you make these Stuffed Purple Sweet Potatoes with Tandoori Chickpeas & Turmeric Tahini, let me know!
Give me a shout on instagram @flora_and_vino and use hashtag #floraandvino to show me taters!
Love this post and want more? Go to my homepage and subscribe to get updates delivered right to your inbox!
- Preheat oven to 350. Place scrubbed purple sweet potatoes in aluminum foil and bake for ~2 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare your chickpeas by tossing them in avocado oil and Tandoori Masala seasoning.
- Prepare your dressing by blending tahini, water, lemon juice, turmeric, maple syrup, Himalayan sea slat, and black pepper adding more water as needed to reach desired consistency. Refrigerate until use.
- When sweet potatoes are done, increase oven temperature to 400. Add chickpeas to a parchment covered baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, shaking 2-3 times to ensure even baking.
- Split your sweet potatoes down the center and fluffy the insides with a fork. Add ⅓ of the spice chickpeas to each potato, and top with turmeric tahini dressing and fresh parsley.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning I earn a commission if you use these links. I only recommend brands I love, trust, and can’t keep quiet about!