Happy Father’s Day, friends!
I love the challenge of taking old family recipes and making them new with fresh updated ingredients.
Altering the original recipe for my mom’s Strawberry Bread to make gluten free, oil free, and refined sugar free muffins might be the best dad’s day gift ever.
I see you, Strawberry Hemp Hearts muffins.
I’ve told you about my Mom’s Strawberry Bread before.
In case you missed it, let me remind you. It’s amazing.
She made it before we went to the community pool on Friday nights.
We waited impatiently in our flip lops until dad came home to serve it up in thick hearty pink pieces.
I had thing about nuts in otherwise soft foods as a kid.
My strawberry bread eating started with the jammy strawberry pieces first, working my way into the bread, and finally exiling all found nuts to the side with a fork.
Now I love the extra crunch in my muffins, but if you don’t, I understand, and feel free to omit!
I added 1/4 c. hemp heart seeds for a sweet nutty twist and extra seeded protein.
Enjoy these muffins as a quick breakfast or pack them for healthy snacking throughout the day.
Peanut butter and a a sprinkle of hemp hearts is an excellent pairing idea.
I like to make a big batch of these and store them in the freezer until ready to use.
I hope you love these Strawberry Hemp Heart Muffins as much as I do! I’d love to hear what you think. Show me the muffins @flora_and_vino on Instagram and use #floraandvino!
Want more oil-free, gluten free, reined sugar free muffins? Check out my Banana Chia Chocolate Chip Muffins, Double Chocolate Double Green Zucchini Muffins or Triple Berry Banana Power Muffins for more healthy snacking!
If you love this post and want more? Go to my homepage and subscribe to get updates delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water)
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup unrefined coconut sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup plain applesauce
- 1 TBS orange juice
- 1 TBS maple syrup (optional)
- 1¾ cup gluten free flour (I used oat flour)
- ¼ cup gluten free oatmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup fresh sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- ½ cup pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with liners or spray with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together ground flaxseed and water and set aside.
- Next, mash your two bananas into the mixture and add coconut sugar, almond milk, orange juice, optional maple syrup, and applesauce.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, combine the gluten free flour, gluten free rolled oats, hemp hearts, and baking powder and toss to combine.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and mix until well combined.
- Gently fold in the fresh strawberries and pecans.
- Fill each muffin cup almost to the top. Sprinkle with fresh berries and more hemp hearts, if desired.
- Bake for 18-24 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pan.
- Store cooled muffins in an airtight contain in the fridge for 2-3 days and freeze for long term storage.