How is your summer going?
I really can’t believe it’s August.
Summer always leaves me scratching my head wondering where all the sunny days went.
I’m hurrying to get my favorite summer recipes out to you before we all have nothing but PUMPKIN on the brain!
This Watermelon Mint Kale Salad with Champagne Tahini Dressing might have the power to make summer last forever. Or at least as long as you like within your kitchen.
You’re going to love the mix of sweet watermelon, velvety avocado, and fresh mint with an Oil-Free Champagne Tahini Dressing!
Have you been to Sweetgreen?
I used to have one within walking distance, which was simultaneously amazing and awful.
Amazing because I could get fresh salad whenever, and, awful because, well, I was buying salad around the clock.
I was pretty much on a first name basis with all the staff.
For those of you who haven’t had it or don’t have one near you, Sweetgreen is my favorite salad place.
I like to tell people it’s a salad place that makes SO much more than salad.
There was a seasonal salad on the menu a few years back with watermelon, mint, and shredded kale.
Does anyone remember that?
I used to walk up to the shop in my swimsuit coverup and flip flops, order a Watermelon Mint Kale Salad, then walk it back to the pool.
I picnicked on my turquoise pool towel, enjoying cool mint, crunchy veggies, and sweet watermelon over the chorus of kids and chirping of the ice-cream truck.
Life was good.
This Watermelon Mint Kale Salad with Champagne Tahini Dressing is inspired by the Sweetgreen oldie, with some F&V substitutions and additions.
The original version include a crumbled cheese for creaminess so I substituted avocado instead.
For protein, I added cubed tofu to mine, but you can omit entirely or try chickpeas instead.
I used to not be a mint person. If you know you’re not a mint person, you can omit entirely and the salad will still be great. If you’re new to mint, try chopping a leaf or two very fine and adding that way to see what you think.
Enjoy this salad for a light summer lunch, dinner, or side.
If you make this Watermelon Mint Kale Salad with Champagne Tahini Dressing, let me know!
Give me a shout on instagram @flora_and_vino and use hashtag #floraandvino to show me your salad bowls.
For more fun summer salads, check out my BBQ Chickpea Salad with Creamy Hemp Heart Ranch, Strawberry Herb Quinoa Salad with Zesty Lime Tahini or my Summer Beet Macro Bowl with Sweet Beet Tahini.
Love this post and want more? Go to my homepage and subscribe to get updates delivered right to your inbox!
- one bunch of kale, rinsed and shredded
- 1 small cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 3 small radishes, thinly sliced with a mandoline
- ¼ cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 avocado, pitted and shaved into ribbons
- 3-4 cups cubed watermelon, seeds removed
- 1 cup tofu, cubed, lightly steamed or raw (optional for protein, or try chickpeas!)
- 3 TBS lemon juice, more to taste
- 1 TBS white wine vinegar
- 3 TBS tahini
- 3-4 TBS water
- handful of mint leaves, torn
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the fruit and vegetables and set aside.
- Mix your Champagne Tahini Dressing by combining lemon juice, white wine vinegar, tahini, water, Himalayan sea salt, and black pepper into a bowl and whisking with hand until well combined.
- To shave the avocado, slice in half and carefully "peel" away the skin. Place the avocado on a cutting board and "shave" with a potato peeler. Small ribbons of avocado should fall off. Note: for the avocado ribbons you want an avocado that isn't overly ripe, or the ribbons will fall apart.
- Prepare the optional tofu by cubing a block raw or lightly steaming on the stove top.
- To assemble the salad, divide the kale between bowls and toss with cucumber, radishes, avocado ribbons, watermelon, fresh mint and optional tofu.
- Top with sunflower seeds and Champagne Tahini Dressing.