Last night Dan and I had the pleasure of babysitting my niece and nephews.
We went over, ordered pizza, and watched the kids get sleepier and sleepier on the couch watching Nick Jr. before the procession upstairs to read a Paw Patrol book before bed time.
And I’ve got to say, they were so well behaved, they made parenting almost look easy (although I’ve heard that’s not the case!!!).
The hardest part was staying up a bit past our usual bedtime.
I caught Dan falling to sleep on the job several times while I stayed awake dreaming of cozy recipes to be.
And what else do you dream up a quarter to midnight but a big comforting stew?
This 5-Spice Squash & Chickpea Stew is perfectly spiced, subtly sweet, tomato-based, oil free, protein packed, veggie goodness.
Despite the long descriptors, all you need are five spices, chickpeas, and your most favorite squash!
This 5-Spice Squash & Chickpea Stew is delicious, you guys.
It reminds me of something tangible that I can’t quite remember, with that innate soothing quality of being an old friend.
Or maybe I was just a chickpea in a past life.
Also, I’m putting it up for best-smelling soup award, too, because it makes the house smell some kind of wonderful while it’s cooking.
It’s the kind of soup you can make in bulk, enjoy every night for dinner, and still be sad when the leftovers inevitably come to an end.
So let’s make a LOT.
The base of the recipe is hearty sweet tomato and seasoned vegetable broth, packed with squash, veggies, and chickpea protein.
A 5-spice blend of cumin, coriander, paprika, cinnamon, and cayenne creates a warm and inviting flavor with a kick of spice at the end.
I like my stews thick and teeming with veggies, but if you prefer more “broth” to yours, simply add more vegetable broth at any point before serving.
For veggies, I used bell pepper, onions, carrots, and butternut squash.
I love the convenience of throwing in Cece’s Veggie Co. Organic Butternut Shellz as opposed to having butternut squash chopping be my cardio for the day!
These Cece’s Veggie Co. Organic Butternut Shellz & Cheez meal kits include vegan cheese, but I decided to get creative and use these “shells” in my stew, instead.
They’re a delight in the stew here to add sweetness and spiraled texture to each bite.
If you can’t find Butternut Shellz near you, try swapping in cubed butternut squash, sweet potato, or your favorite winter squash, cubed, instead.
Enjoy this 5-Spice Squash & Chickpea Stew whenever you’re craving a big pot of plant-based goodness.
This recipe is perfect for meal prep, weeknight meals, and everyday fall/winter meals.
If you’re looking for more protein, try serving this over your favorite grain– I love quinoa!
I like enjoying mine with fresh basil or cilantro for a fresh finish.
Leftovers store well in the fridge, so I highly recommend making the full recipe even if it’s just for you…chances are you’ll finish it off by the end of the week!
If you make this 5-Spice Squash & Chickpea Stew, let me know!
Be sure to leave me a comment, rating, and review so I can use your feedback to make more yams.
Come say hi at @flora_and_vino on Instagram and use #floraandvino.
If you loved this post and want more, go to my homepage and subscribe to get deliciousness delivered right to your inbox!
Loving the cozy oil-free soup stews ? You’ll love my
5 Spice 1 Pot Stew made with chickpeas and plenty of veggies. This is soup is as nourishing as it is comforting. This oil free, gluten free, and refined sugar free soup is perfect to enjoy for dinner, lunch, or anything in between. Make a big pot on Sunday night and enjoy it all week!
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 c. + 1/4 c. vegetable stock
- 1 18 oz. jar crushed tomatoes
- 2–3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 package Cece’s Veggie Co. Organic Butternut Shells & Cheez (or sub ~2 cups chopped butternut squash or sweet potato)
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 15 oz. can cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Himalayan sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- fresh basil, for serving
- Add 1/4 c. veggie broth to a large pan and heat over medium.
- When warm, add diced onion and garlic powder sauce for 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add spice mixture, cinnamon – cayenne pepper, and sauté for about 5 minutes, until onions are very soft and spices are fragrant.
- Next, add the carrots, season with salt and pepper, and stir to coat.
- Add the tomatoes and veggie stock and bring the soup to a low boil over medium high.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until the carrots are just tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Next, add the chopped butternut shellz, bell pepper, and chickpeas and continue to simmer until the yellow peppers are tender and the sweet potatoes are very tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve warm with fresh basil.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for 3-5 days and freeze for longterm storage.
- Category: Soup, Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free, Oil Free, Refined Sugar Free
This post is brought to you by Cece’s Veggie Co., but all words and eats are my own. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that keep me hungry!