1-bowl breakfast bread with hearty oats, banana, almond butter, and lots of blueberries. Gluten-free, oil-free, and refined sugar-free.
Longest short week ever, am I right?
This week I went to an outside the studio yoga event that involved meant meeting lots of new yogis.
When was the last time you did something outside of your comfort zone?
Being an adult means you get to make all (or most) of your own decisions, so it’s really easy (for me) to decide to keep things cozy and predictable.
Especially working from home, I find that it even more imperative that I, you know, leave the house every once in while.
It was so fun connecting with like-minded yogis and I was proud of myself for taking a step into the unknown.
So, now the rest of our week and weekend decisions should be easy.
Like…do I want to bake this Blueberry Breakfast Bread now or later?
This morning I was up at 5 AM making the final loaf of this Blueberry Breakfast Bread.
I wanted it to be the right temperature to slice and photograph, and sometimes this means creating things before the sun is up.
Dan didn’t ask questions as I smashed bananas, sifted flour, and stirred blueberries all before the tea kettle whistled.
I sat down at the kitchen island with my hot cup of matcha and watched the bread rise and fill the room with sweet smells.
Not a bad way to end a short week that felt WAY too long.
I’m excited to bake with berries this summer!
Won’t you join me?
In my poll on Instagram, blueberry breakfast bread won twice on two separate occasions, so here goes.
Plus, it’s got that plant-based alliteration going on that I love so well.
Although this bread is called “breakfast bread”, you can enjoy it anytime.
The premise: it’s packed with all of the things you might sneak into an oatmeal bowl baked into bread form.
This Blueberry Breakfast Bread is hearty, sweet, and nutritious.
This recipe starts as a basic banana bread recipe base and takes a berry sweet blueberry twist.
Rest assured that every bite is entirely vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, and naturally sweetened with banana and coconut sugar!
Creamy almond butter takes the place of oil in this recipe to add healthy fats and smooth flavor.
If you don’t have almond butter, any neutral nut or seed butter will work, too.
The batter will be thick and gooey– this is OK and desirable to ensure your bread will be sturdy.
I achieved the hearty texture here is with a mix of my favorite Bob’s Red Mill products.
Love these certified gluten-free products that make baking vegan and gluten-free easy!
The gluten-free oats provide an excellent source of fiber and protein to fuel your day.
If you don’t have or don’t want to buy oat flour, add the old-fashioned rolled oats to a blender and process until you have a fine flour for baking instead.
The trick to this recipe is in the bake time.
It took me several times to get a bread texture that was light and fluffy without being overly wet in the center.
You definitely want to bake this bread longer than what it looks like.
The top get golden brown after 30 minutes and looks like it could possible possibly be done, but trust me, it’s still gooey in the center.
Your Blueberry Bread is done when a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
After removing from the oven, I highly recommend waiting until the bread is fully cooled to cut and serve to get the cleanest slices.
This Blueberry Breakfast Bread is perfect to bake and slice in advance for easy breakfasts, snacks, or desserts for you and the family.
I love mine sliced thick and smeared with nut butter for mid-morning snack.
Enjoy at room temperature or briefly microwave for a freshly baked warmth.
For a lower sugar or no-sugar-added option, try omitting the coconut sugar entirely and let the bananas take over, following the remainder of the recipe as written.
Happy weekend baking!
If you make this Blueberry Breakfast Bread, let me know!
I’d love to hear what you think.
Be sure to leave me a comment, rating, and review so I can use your feedback to make more yums.
Show me your loaf on Instagram and use #floraandvino!
Do you love this post and want more? Go to my homepage and subscribe to get updates delivered right to your inbox!
1-bowl breakfast bread with hearty oats, banana, almond butter, and lots of blueberries. Gluten-free, oil-free, and refined sugar free.
- 2 flax eggs (2 TBSP Bob’s Red Mill Organic Golden Flaxseed Meal + 6 TBSP filtered water)
- 2 – 3 ripe bananas, mashed (~1 heaping cup)
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- ~1/4 cup unrefined coconut sugar (omit for lower sugar or add up to 1/4 cup more for sweeter bread)
- 1 1/4 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1 1/4 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Oat Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 heaping cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a bread pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the ground flaxseed and filtered water. Stir and set aside for 5-10 minutes to allow the mixture to gel.
- Add in the smashed bananas, almond butter, and coconut sugar and stir to combine.
- Add in the oats and sift in the oat flour and baking powder and mix well until no clumps remain.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the parchment paper-lined bread pan and smoothing the top off with a spatula. Add optional additional blueberries on top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the top is golden brown, and a toothpick comes out cleanly or with minimal crumbs. Remove from the oven and cool 30 minutes before slicing.
- Store in the fridge for 5-7 days and freeze for longterm storage.
- Category: Bread, Breakfast
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Oil-Free
This post is brought to you by Bob’s Red Mill, but all words and eats are my own. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that keep me hungry!