It isn’t too “April” for soup, is it?
Asking for a friend.
Spring weather is coming to Virginia in quiet spurts that don’t seem to stick.
It’s cold here today with a persistent drizzle– one of those rainy days where you wish it would just pour and get it over with already, ya know?
But April showers bring May flowers…
Until then, let’s cozy up and make this Easy White Bean & Kale Soup!
It’s packed with plant-based protein and leafy greens in a cozy oil-free broth.
Did I tell you guys about the bean soup my mom used to make for us growing up?
It was quite possibly my first love affair with legumes.
She used white navy beans as the base and let them slow cook to buttery bean-y perfection.
That’s the first thing that comes to mind when I think of bean soup.
This soup started off as a recreation of the family recipe and then took on new Flora & Vino form!
This stew manages to be both hearty and light– a combination that’s kind of a unicorn in soup form.
The broth starts with garlic, thyme, and tomato, and ends with a bright lemon-y finish.
It’s packed with protein from navy beans (thanks for the inspo, mom!), fresh seasonal carrots, and leafy green kale.
Add some red chili flakes for confetti color and optional spice!
Enjoy this Easy White Bean & Kale Soup whenever you’re craving something hearty, cozy, and warm.
Feel free to mix up the veggies here to fit what you have on hand.
The way I see it, as long as you include the white beans and kale it’s still a white bean and kale soup!
I like to make a big pot of this (sometimes doubling the recipe) so I can enjoy leftover bowls throughout the week.
PSA: It’s incredible with sliced avocado and a big squeeze of lemon.
If you make a pot of this Easy White Bean & Kale Soup, I’d love to hear what you think!
Give me a shout on instagram @flora_and_vino and use hashtag #floraandvino to show me your creations!
Want more colorful soups packed with protein and veg?
Love this post and want more? Go to my homepage and subscribe to get updates delivered right to your inbox!
Easy 1-pot soup that’s packed with white beans, kale, and veggies in a light lemon and tomato based broth. Perfect for meal prep and anytime you’re craving something hearty and cozy!
- 1/4 cup veggie broth (for initial sautéing)
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2–3 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3–4 cups veggie broth (I like mine a bit chunkier!)
- 1 15-oz can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 TBSP finely chopped thyme
- 1 small bunch of kale, roughly chopped, woody stems removed
- Himalayan sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- optional for serving: red pepper flakes, big squeeze of lemon
- In a medium pot, heat veggie broth over medium heat.
- Add the onion, pinch of sea salt and black pepper, and garlic powder and cook 3-5 minutes, until the onion starts to turn translucent and the garlic is fragrant. Add more veggie broth as needed to keep the pan from drying out.
- Next, stir in the diced carrots and celery and sauté for 5 minutes, until they start to soften.
- Add white beans, diced tomato, veggie broth, and thyme and bring to a low boil over medium high. Reduce heat and simmer for ~15-20 minutes.
- In the last few minutes, add in the kale. Turn off the heat when the kale has wilted and turned a vibrant green.
- Uncover and mix in big squeeze of lemon. Taste test and add more salt and pepper as needed. Serve with optional red pepper flakes.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Category: Entree, Soup
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free, Oil Free