Are you football fans?
I can’t say that I am, but you know what I am a fan of?
Easy and healthy game-time snacks.
Dan would tell you that I’m a Patriots fan by marriage (don’t hate!), but I spend the majority of the game asking what just happened.
And smashing all of the veggies together to make an oil-free, gluten-free option to enjoy between (and during) plays.
These Pea Pesto Sweet Potato Poppers are a total “game-changer” (sorry, I had to), when it comes to feeding you and your football fans this fall!
Have you tried baking oil-free sweet potato rounds yet?
While I do love my sweet potato fries and baked sweet potatoes, my go-to lazy-girl method of baking sweet potatoes is to slice them, throw them on a baking sheet, and impatiently wait for them to soften and get all jeweled orange and juicy.
Trust me, they don’t need anything else to bake and come out tasting like a dream.
Well, they might need a little pea pesto…
You might recognize my basic pea pesto recipe from this post, but I changed it up by adding hemp hearts instead of pistachios for that nutty flavor.
I used a lot of dill in this mixture as my herb of choice, but feel free to swap the fresh dill out with a basic basil or mint!
The Pea Pesto Sweet Potato Poppers came into being when I had a pan of freshly baked sweet potato rounds resting on my blue striped oven mitt in desperate need of a dipping partner.
The usual suspects are guac, hummus, or nut butter, but I happened to have some leftover pea pesto in the fridge so I smashed some on with a fork and popped it in my mouth.
Enjoy these Pea Pesto Sweet Potato Poppers as an easy snack, appetizer, or side to your main meal.
I think you should whip up some pea pesto in advance, throw a pan of sweet pots in the oven just before halftime, assemble and serve ’em warm on a giant Pea Pesto Sweet Potato Popper platter.
Watch these little bites become the MVP for a few minutes.
If you make these Pea Pesto Sweet Potato Poppers, let me know!
Be sure to leave me a comment, rating, and review so I can use your feedback to make more yums.
Come say hi at @flora_and_vino on Instagram and use #floraandvino.
For more oil-free snackable sweet potato pairings, check out my Baked Yam Fries with Oil-Free Roasted Red Pepper Hummus and Purple Sweet Potato Fries with Beet Ketchup, too!
If you loved this post and want more, go to my homepage and subscribe to get deliciousness delivered right to your inbox!
The perfect healthy appetizer for game-day or any-day! These sweet potato poppers don’t require any oil, just slice and bake, then smash with herby pea pesto. Ideal for a snack, side, or party favor.
- 3–4 sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2” rounds
- PEA PESTO
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup packed fresh spinach (or sub basil)
- ¼ cup fresh dill (or sub basil or mint)
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 2 TBS runny tahini
- Himalayan sea salt
- Black pepper
- For serving: fresh dill, hemp hearts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add your sliced sweet potato to the pan and bake for 30 minutes, flipping over halfway for even baking.
- While the sweet potato is baking, prepare your pea pesto by add all remaining ingredients to a high speed blender. Pulse until well combined but not pureed.
- To assemble pea pesto sweet potato poppers, smash ~1TBS pea pesto onto sweet potato rounds and serve garnished with fresh dill and hemp hearts, if desired.
- Leftover pea pesto stores in the fridge for up to one week.
- Category: Side, Snack
- Cuisine: Oil Free, Gluten Free
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning I earn a commission if you use these links. I only recommend brands I love, trust, and can’t keep quiet about!