Bring the sushi bar to your home with easy vegan sushi with creamy avocado and sweet roasted red pepper. Enjoy with white or brown rice.
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- 1 cup organic white sushi rice, or sub brown rice, rinsed
- 3 TBSP organic brown rice vinegar
- 2 TBSP organic coconut sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- 4 sheets sushi nori (dried seaweed)
- 1 roasted or fresh red bell pepper* (sliced)
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- handful of sprouts (optional)
- FOR SERVING: Tamari, pickled ginger, sesame seeds, wasabi, etc.
- In a medium saucepan, bring sushi rice and water to a boil. Lower the heat to la simmer and cover. Simmer until water is completely absorbed and rice is tender – about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to stand with the lid on for 10 minutes more.
- In the meantime, add vinegar, coconut sugar and sea salt to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat stirring occasionally until sugar and salt are dissolved. Set aside until read to use.
- Once the rice is done, add the cooled vinegar mixture and stir well to combine, completely costing the rice.
- Slice the avocado and roasted red peppers in thin slices for assembly.
- Time to roll your sushi. Grab your sushi mat and top with a sheet of nori, shiny side down. Using your hands dipped in water (to avoid sticking), pat a very thin layer of rice all over the nori, making sure it’s not too thick to roll.
- Next, arrange 1/2 sliced avocado, a few strips of roasted red pepper, and optional sprouts in a horizontal line covering the bottom 3/4 of the rice closest to you (see photo).
- Start to roll the nori and rice over with your fingers, and once the veggies are covered, roll the mat over to mold and compress the roll. Keep rolling in this fashion until it’s all rolled up. Dab some water onto the ending edge to seal the roll shut. Cut roll into 8 individual sushi slices. Repeat until all rice and filling is used up; about 3-4 rolls, depending on how much you stuff them.
- Serve immediately with tamari, pickled ginger, etc. Best when fresh, though leftovers will keep for a day or two in the fridge.
For a comprehensive Sushi making kit, check out this Sushi Tote from Eden Foods!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Sushi, Entree, Lunch
- Cuisine: Oil Free, Gluten Free, Vegan