As I’m writing this, it’s 74 degrees outside and we have the windows open.
Needless to say, it’s unseasonably warm.
You know what that means…it’s the perfect day to share a new smoothie bowl recipe!
To be honest, after completing my “galaxy bowl” series over the summer, I felt a bit smoothie-bowl uninspired.
Don’t get me wrong, I still ate them, I just felt like all of my new combos were just different variations of the same thing.
That was before I created this Autumn Winter Squash Mango Smoothie Bowl combination that sent those galaxy bowls back to space.
I’ve been adding pumpkin and squash to my smoothie bowls since Labor Day, trying to come up with the perfect combination to share.
I wanted these bowls to be banana-free, so I was originally sweetening them with my Low Sugar Pumpkin Apple Butter.
That seemed a bit silly, though, because while the pumpkin apple butter is amazing and you all should make it, I’m sure you guys don’t necessary want to slave over the stovetop on a weekday morning just so you can add it to a smoothie bowl that otherwise comes together in less than 5 minutes.
…Yeah, I didn’t think so.
So I have this theory about how orange foods go together.
I knew I’d had carrots and mango together in a drink at some point (maybe with turmeric?), so I decided to throw some frozen mango in the blender to see what would happen.
Magic is what happened, friends.
Not only does it sweeten the winter squash perfectly, it also preserves the burnt sienna color of these bowls.
If you’re concerned about some cataclysmic clashing of tropical and cozy, don’t be.
The winter squash mellows out the sweetness of the mango and it’s just good food harmony.
Enjoy this Winter Squash Mango Smoothie Bowl as a quick fall breakfast or post-workout meal.
Any winter squash works for this recipe, but my personal favorite is butternut squash!
If you make this Winter Squash Mango Smoothie Bowl, let me know!
Give me a shout on instagram @flora_and_vino and use hashtag #floraandvino and tell me what you think!
Love this post and want more? Go to my homepage and subscribe to get updates delivered right to your inbox!
Fall-inspired banana-free smoothie bowl packed with roasted winter squash and sweet mango. Perfect for busy weekday meals and post-workout fuel.
- 1– 11/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional but recommended)
- 1/2 cup roasted winter squash (I like butternut squash, pumpkin, or kabocha squash!) (**See Notes for tips on how to roast your own winter squash)
- 1 cup steamed and frozen cauliflower
- heaping 1/2 cup frozen mango
- 1 TBS peanut butter or sunflower seed butter
- dash of cinnamon
- Optional for topping: sliced fig, sunflower seeds, almonds, granola, shredded coconut, dried cranberries, pepitas, and more peanut butter
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and pulse until well combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- The final mixture should be thick and creamy. (Add more almond milk for thinner smoothie bowls and a little more frozen cauliflower or winter squash for thicker bowls)
- Pour into a bowl and top with desired toppings and serve immediately.
*Time does not include time to roast your winter squash
***Pro Tip on how to roast any winter squash: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Scrub the exterior of the squash with a brush under running water and dry. Halve the squash down the center and remove all seeds and pulp with a spoon. Rub the interior with a bit of avocado oil and bake face down for 30-60 minutes, depending on squash size. Watch squash closely after the 30 minute mark. Remove from oven, flip over, and allow to cool. Scoop out the interior for use in this recipe.*
- Category: Gluten Free, Oil Free, Refined Sugar Free
- Cuisine: Smoothie Bowl, Breakfast