Vegan queso made with steamed carrots, cashews, and plenty of nutritional yeast. Serve it with tacos, taco salads, burrito bowls, chips, and vegetables!
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and roughly sliced
- 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (+more as needed for thinner consistency)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional, for color)
- Himalayan sea salt, to taste
- Hu Kitchen Grain-Free Everything Crackers, for serving
- Soak the cashews in very hot water for 30 minutes before starting this recipe. Drain and rinse and then proceed with the recipe. If you have a Vitamix you can skip this step.
- Add the carrots to a large saucepan with enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil and cook at a soft boil for 6-8 minutes, until fork tender. Drain the hot water and allow to cool slightly.
- Once the carrots are slightly cooled, add them to a high speed blender with the soaked, drained cashews, nutritional yeast, salsa, almond milk, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, turmeric, and salt.
- Blend, adding more almond milk as needed to create a creamy, pourable cheese sauce. Scrape down sides as needed to recombine.
- Taste the queso and adjust flavor as needed, adding more nutritional yeast for “cheesiness”, turmeric for color, and salsa or hot sauce for heat.
- Serve queso immediately warm from the blender with Hu Kitchen Grain-Free Crackers!
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat on the stovetop or eat cold for a chilled dip.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Dip, Spread
- Method: Stovetop, Blenderr
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Oil-Free, Refined-Sugar-Free