Vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free pop-tarts made with a crispy almond flour crust and a tart cherry butter filling. Perfect for a fun weekend breakfast!
- 2 cups superfine almond flour
- 2/3 cup almond or cashew butter
- 2–5 TBSP ice cold water
- 1 TBSP coconut sugar (or sub maple syrup)
- 1 jar Eden Foods Organic Tart Cherry Butter (or sub your favorite refined sugar-free fruit spread)
Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
To prepare crust, and almond flour and coconut sugar to a large bowl, then cut in nut butter with a fork or pastry cutter until well combined.
Using a tablespoon, drizzle cold water over the mixture and mix with a spoon until it starts to form a dough. Add cold water in Tablespoon increments, starting with 2-3 and adding up to 4. The batter should be moist enough to form into a ball with your hands, but not too sticky. Add more almond flour if it gets too wet.
Place the ball onto a floured parchment paper lined surface and flatten into a uniform rectangle with your hands, using a rolling pin to assist. Add another sheet of parchment paper on top of the dough before rolling to reduce sticking and cracking.
Carefully cut the dough into 12 equal squares (measure if you need to– the more equal the better!) and carefully transfer them to the baking sheet.
Place 1 heaping Tbsp of cherry butter onto 6 of the squares, leaving a generous 1/4 inch border to seal the edges. Then use your finger to dot water around the edges so the two squares stick together. Top the squares with a second dough square and then seal edges with a fork by pressing indents around the perimeter of each pop-tart.
Poke a few holes in the top of each and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on the top and edges.
Remove from the oven and allow pop-tarts to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Store leftover pop-tarts in the fridge for 5-7 days and freeze for longterm storage. Reheat in the microwave before serving.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Dessert, Breakfast, Snack
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Oil-Free, Grain-Free, Refined Sugar-Free