Easy chickpea patties made with garbanzo beans and hearty oats. Perfect for meal prep to add to salads, bowls, and plates.
- drizzle avocado oil
- 1 flax egg (1 TBSP ground flaxseed + 3 TBSP filtered water)
- 15-oz. can Eden Foods Organic Garbanzo Beans(Chickpeas)
- 1/4 cup gluten-free old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 TBSP runny tahini
- 1/4 cup green onion
- 1/4 green pepper, diced
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 4–6 hours, then drained and rinsed
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1/3– 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- For serving: butter lettuce, sliced tomato
- Prepare your cashew mayonnaise in advance. Add the soaked cashews and all mayo ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until very well combined and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed to recombine. Taste and add more nutritional yeast for cheesiness, lemon for brightness, or maple syrup for sweetness. Transfer mayonnaise to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready for use.
- Mix the flax egg in a large mixing bowl and allow to sit for a few minutes to gel. Next, add in HALF of the chickpeas and smash well with the back of a fork or a potato smasher.
- Add in the gluten-free oats, tahini, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix until well combined. Add the remaining chickpeas with the green onion and green pepper and lightly smash to combine. Some chickpeas will remain whole– this is desirable. For more uniform patties, try adding the mixture to a blender first.
- Heat a large skillet over medium with a small amount of avocado oil. Form the batter into 4-6 1/3 cup patties and smash into a round burger-shape with your hands. Place patties on the skillet and cook ~5 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy. Burgers may crumble slightly– this is OK.
- Remove from the skillet and serve with cashew mayo and optional sides. I love tomato and butter lettuce!
- Chickpea patties keep in the refrigerator for 3-5 days and cashew mayo can be kept for up to one week. Freeze patties for longterm storage.
*double or triple the recipe to make more patties!
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Oil-Free