Chocolate thumbprint cookies made grain-free, gluten-free, and naturally sweetened with coconut sugar. Finish them with a melty dark chocolate center!
- 1 flax egg (1 TBSP ground flaxseed + 3 TBSP filtered water)
- 1 ¼ cup super-fine almond flour
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder
- ½ cup unrefined coconut sugar
- ½ cup neutral nut butter (almond, sunflower seed butter, or cashew)
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- Hu Kitchen Salty Dark Chocolate Bars
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk up the flax egg in a large mixing bowl and allow to sit for ~5 minutes to gel.
- Next, add in the super-fine almond flour, cacao powder, coconut sugar, nut butter, and almond milk and mix well to combine.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion out ~1 ½ TBSP balls. Roll the balls between your palms and then place on the lined cookie sheet about 2″ apart. Flatten the balls slightly with your hands or the bottom of a glass. Don’t flatten the balls too much, because the cookies will spread a bit. Continue this until all of the dough is used up.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 12-14 minutes, until the cookies are golden brown underneath. Cookies will appear underdone at first but will continue to firm up as they cool. While the cookies are still warm, press one square of dark chocolate into the center of each cookie. Serve immediately, but be careful not to burn yourself on melty chocolate!
- Allow cookies to cool completely before transferring to an airtight container for storage. Store cookies in the refrigerator for up to one week and freeze for long term storage.
Recipe adapted from Making Thyme for Health
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 14 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven-Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan, Oil-Free, Gluten-Free, Refined-Sugar-Free