How to make easy black beans from scratch with dried black beans, filtered water, and vegetable broth cooked on the stovetop and seasoned with Himalayan sea salt.
- 1 cup Farmer Direct Organic Black Beans, dry and sorted
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
Soak black beans in 3 cups of filtered water for at least 8 hours.
- Drain and rinse well.
Add rinsed black beans to a large pot with filtered water and vegetable broth.
Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 hours or until the beans are tender. Add more water or vegetable broth as needed the keep beans completely covered during the cooking process.
- Drain and season beans to taste with Himalayan sea salt.
Store leftover black beans in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
For more tender beans, try partially covering the pan with a lid. For firmer beans, leave uncovered.
- Prep Time: 8 hrs
- Cook Time: 2 1/2 hrs
- Category: Side
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Oil-Free, Grain-Free