1-Pot Vegan chana masala packed with vegetables in a spicy tomato-based broth. Serve by itself or spoon over quinoa or rice.
- 1 tsp avocado oil (or sub 1/4 cup veggie broth if oil-free)
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/2 TBSP ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 cup veggie broth
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets, roughly chopped
- 1 1/4 cups of Jovial organic diced tomatoes
- 1 13 oz. jar of Jovial organic garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup (optional)
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- fresh cilantro
- optional for serving: quinoa, rice, etc.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add avocado oil (or veggie broth) and diced onion and saute for 3-5 minutes, until onions are translucent, adding more veggie broth to the pan as needed to prevent drying out.
- Next, add the cumin, chili powder, coriander, sea salt, turmeric, garlic powder, ginger, and garam masala and mix well with the onions. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add a little more oil or veggie broth if the pan is dry at this point.
- Next add the broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, diced tomatoes, chickpeas, and remaining 1/2 cup veggie broth. The mixture should very thick and stew-like. (You can add more veggie broth or water later to thin out, if you prefer more of a “soup” consistency.)
- Increase heat to medium high until the mixture reaches a rolling simmer, then reduce heat to low or medium-low, cover, and simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until thick and stew-like, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and add more sea salt or spices as desired. I like a little extra cumin and chili powder.
- Remove from heat and add stir in lemon juice and a drizzle of maple syrup for optional sweetness.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and optional grain of choice.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 4-5 days and freeze for longterm storage.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Gluten Free, Grain Free, Oil Free