Butternut squash “fries” seasoned with turmeric and cumin with a sesame seed twist! Bake a pan for a healthy snack or side paired with your favorite dip.
- 1 package of pre-cut Butternut squash crinkle cut “fries” (I found mine at Whole Foods!), or peel and slice your own Butternut squash into “fries”
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 TBSP avocado oil*
- 2 TBSP white sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the turmeric, cumin , garlic powder, Himalayan sea salt, and black pepper to the bottom of a large mixing bowl and toss to combine.
- Remove butternut squash from the packaging, or, alternatively, create your own by peeling and slicing your own butternut squash into “fry” shapes.
- Add the butternut squash to the large bowl with the spices along with the avocado oil and toss with a large spoon to combine. At first the mixture will feel clumpy, but keep mixing until the spices are evenly distributed and the fries are gleaming orange.
- Add in the sesame seeds and toss again to combine, ensuring all fries are well coated.
- Transfer the fries to the parchment lined baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Scrape the bowl for any remaining sesame seeds and sprinkle them on top of the baking sheet.
- Bake fries in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until lightly crispy and brown around the edges. Serve immediately with ketchup or dip of choice!
If oil-free, you can omit the avocado oil for varied results– note that the avocado oil helps the sesame seeds stick!
Recipe adapted from The No Meat Athlete Cookbook: Turmeric Sesame Oven-Baked Fries
- Category: Snack, Side
- Method: Oven-Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Paleo