Five ingredient dark chocolate hummus sweetened with dates! Perfectly paired with apple chips, fresh fruit, or spread on toast.
We’re out of town visiting my grandparents, and I spent the majority of the week packing to be away.
While I was packing, I was also snacking.
Amidst the packed and prepped one-pan meals and overnight oats is a tub of homemade chocolate hummus and a bag of apple chips.
I’m so excited to finally share my recipe for chocolate hummus with you, along with my favorite dipping partner!
You’re going to love this Date-Sweetened Dark Chocolate Hummus that requires only 5 ingredients and a totally healthy obsession with hummus.
Ever since I saw that HOPE hummus, one of my favorite hummus brands, invented a chocolate hummus flavor, I haven’t been able to get the idea out of my head.
Roaming the refrigerated section in the grocery store, I searched for the small tub (whose packaging I totally had memorized for easy identification) with zero luck.
It’s not sold in my area. Boo.
I finally decided to make my own version that’s not only chocolate-y and crave able, but also oil-free and refined sugar-free.
This Date-Sweetened Dark Chocolate Hummus is mildly sweetened using gooey Medjool dates.
I like my chocolate hummus to have subtle sweetness so you can really taste the cacao and aren’t totally dissing the savory hummus gods.
If you want your hummus a little sweeter and more “dessert-y”, trying adding in a few more Medjool dates to satisfy your sweet tooth.
So, what the heck do you dip in chocolate hummus?
Well, let me tell you, friends.
While fruit is maybe the most popular answer and still a great option, I found that my favorite way to enjoy my Date-Sweetened Dark Chocolate Hummus was with apple chips!
A perfectly sweet and spiced vehicle for chocolate hummus consumption.
They basically taste like apple pie filling with a crunch and without any additives.
Hello, favorite fall snack.
I love them because they also don’t have any added oils or sugars, making them the perfect dipping partner for this clean hummus!
This recipe makes about 2 cups of Date-Sweetened Dark Chocolate Hummus, so you’ll have plenty to enjoy.
Just like regular hummus, this Date-Sweetened Dark Chocolate Hummus is extremely versatile!
A spoonful of it really kicks those chocolate cravings while providing protein from chickpeas.
It’s not just for dessert, though.
Enjoy it with fresh fruit, spread onto crackers or toast, in oatmeal, on pancakes, or by the spoonful.
If you make this Date-Sweetened Dark Chocolate Hummus, let me know!
I’d love to see what you spread it on.
Be sure to leave me a comment, rating, and review so I can use your feedback to create more yums.
5 ingredient dark chocolate hummus sweetened with dates! Perfectly paired with apple chips, fresh fruit, or spread on toast.
- 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 8–10 gooey Medjool dates (+more for sweeter hummus)
- 1/4 cup runny tahini
- 1/4 cup almond milk (+ more in 1 TBSP increments to reach desired consistency)
- Bare Snacks Apple Pie Spice Chips
- Add your gooey dates to a food processor or blender and pulse until you have a rough paste. If your dates are dried out, place them in a bowl of hot water and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes to soften, then drain and add to the recipe.
- Next, add the garbanzo beans, cacao powder, and runny tahini to the blender and pulse until well combined, scraping down the sides as needed to incorporate.
- Finally, add 1/4 cup almond milk and blend until the mixture is creamy and spreadable. Taste and add more dates for sweetness and more almond milk in 1 TBS increments to thin out hummus consistency.
- Serve immediately with Bare Snacks Apple Pie Spice Chips.
- Transfer hummus to an airtight container and refrigerate for 1-2 weeks.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Category: Dessert, Snack
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Oil-Free, Refined Sugar-Free
This post is brought to you by Bare Snacks, but all words and eats are my own. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that keep me hungry!