Happy New Years Eve Eve!
Welcome to the last post on F&V of 2018.
I’ll be the first to admit that I fall victim to the whole new year new you mentality.
I spent a lot of time between Christmas and New Years listing all of the good aspect of my life that I want to do bigger and better in 2019, and all of the not so grand things I’d be just fine with leaving in 2018.
There’s something magical about the start of the new year that makes big changes feel totally tangible and transformative.
Two years ago on New Years Day I started this humble space on the Internet, the blog you’re reading now.
A year ago on January 1st I quit my gym and joined a yoga studio and watched how my time on the mat changed the way I viewed my life.
This year and today, we’re making Eggplant Rounds with Herbed Yogurt Sauce & Pomegranate for the perfect plant-based NYE appetizer.
So, see, big things.
What’s hard, though, is doing multiple big things.
When I try to wake up and become my ideal self overnight, it’s great at first, go me, and then becomes increasingly more like a not so comical juggling act in which, spoiler alert, I drop all of the balls and no one, not even the kids, are laughing.
I heard Rachel Hollis say on Instagram that instead of focusing on changing everything at once, focus on ONE THING.
What’s your one thing?
I’m still working on narrowing mine down.
Today your one thing can be mastering a mean plant-based appetizer to share for NYE.
All you need is a single eggplant, your favorite dairy free yogurt, a handful of your favorite herbs, and fresh pomegranate.
Let’s do this one thing WELL.
The inspiration for this recipe came from the creative eggplant “toasts” I’ve seen on Instagram.
Have you seen them?
No, I didn’t actually “toast” eggplant here, but I did cut the Japanese eggplant into 1″ “rounds” and then baked them to make a tender but sturdy base for topping.
I’ve always kind of had a thing for yogurt on veggies.
Check out my Savory Yogurt Bowls with Cinnamon Roasted Veggies if you don’t believe me.
I love using almond milk-based yogurt as the creamy topping to eggplant here to accentuate its silky baked texture.
Add in your favorite herbs– I love basil or mint here, plus garlic powder, lemon, salt, and pepper, to make a creamy oil0-free spread that is anything but plain.
To top it all off, I added pomegranate seeds for a little extra texture, color, and sweetness!
Te result is a concise grab and go plant-based pairing that comes together in 30 minutes for all of the parties– the one inside and outside of your mouth.
These Eggplant Rounds with Herbed Yogurt Sauce & Pomegranate are perfect as a plant-based appetizer, small bite, or side.
Their festive flair makes them ideal for serving at a holiday party, new years eve party, or anytime you’re fine dining and need a dressed up veg-centric Hors d’oeuvre.
If you’re serving many guests, use multiple eggplants and double the yogurt recipe to accommodate more diners.
Depending on how much yogurt sauce you prefer on your eggplant, you might have leftovers.
Try using the leftover sauce as a dip for raw veggies or spread onto toast with avocado!
If you can’t find pomegranate near you, try subbing your favorite fruit preserves or chopped dried apricot.
If you make these Eggplant Rounds with Herbed Yogurt Sauce & Pomegranate, let me know!
Be sure to leave me a comment, rating, and review so I can use your feedback to make more yums.
Come say on Instagram and use #floraandvino.
For more oil-free snackable pairings, check out my Pea Pesto Sweet Potato Poppers, Baked Yam Fries with Oil-Free Roasted Red Pepper Hummus and Purple Sweet Potato Fries with Beet Ketchup, too!
If you loved this post and want more, go to my homepage and subscribe to get deliciousness delivered right to your inbox!
Easy vegan appetizer, side, or small bite with an eggplant base and a creamy dairy-free yogurt sauce. Top with fresh herbs and pomegranate for a pretty party food!
- EGGPLANT ROUNDS
- 1 medium-sized eggplant
- 2 tsp avocado or olive oil (optional)
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Himalayan sea salt and pepper
- HERBED YOGURT SAUCE
- 1 1/2 cups plain unsweetened almond milk yogurt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped basil or fresh mint (or sub your favorite herb)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of lemon zest, optional
- FOR SERVING
- fresh mint, pomegranate
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash the exterior of the eggplant and slice into round 1-inch thick disks. Toss the slices in optional oil and a big squeeze of lemon. Toss with garlic powder and salt and pepper. Place rounds on the baking sheet and roast for around 20-25 minutes or until the eggplant appears soft and slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, mix the yogurt sauce by adding the yogurt, basil, garlic powder, and optional lemon zest to a small mixing bowl. Season the yogurt sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, top each eggplant rounds with a generous spoonful of herbed yogurt sauce. Garnish with fresh mint and pomegranate seeds.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for 2-3 days, though best when fresh.
- Category: Appetizer, Small Bite
- Cuisine: Oil Free, Gluten Free, Vegan, Grain Free