Savory oats with zucchini spirals, spinach, avocado, and cherry tomato. Seasoned with nutritional yeast and topped with herbs and seeds. Perfect for a savory breakfast or lunch!
I love challenging the societal norms for eating.
For example, who decided that oatmeal has to be sweet?
Not me, so let’s stir in some zucchini spirals and seasoning and savor.
If you’ve been here a few times, you know I love sneaking vegetables into my morning oatmeal recipes…
But what if you didn’t have to sneak?
These Savory Zucchini Oats (Zoats) are perfect for a savory breakfast, lunch, or dinner for a different take on your classic bowl of oatmeal.
Ever since seeing my fist savory oatmeal recipe, I’ve been entranced.
Oats as the base to a full on gourmet meal?
What will they think of next?
Most of the recipes I browed have runny eggs on top in a glistening over top, but I made these bowls plant-based and equally drool-worthy with avocado, seeds, and tomato.
They’re creamy, perfectly seasoned, and packed with fiber, protein, and greens.
I love that they fill and fuel you without any added sugars, gluten, or oils!
These Zucchini Oats are so easy to make with the use of Cece’s Veggie Co. Zucchini Spirals.
These pre-packaged organic zucchini spirals melt into the oats while cooking, giving them extra fiber, bulk, and greens that compliment the grains!
If you can’t find zucchini spirals near you, try subbing grated zucchini or shredded carrot instead.
Once the oats and zucchini are velvety smooth and tender, stir in a big handful of spinach and a few spoonfuls of nutritional yeast for a creamy savory and slightly “cheesy” seasoning.
Now you’re ready for toppings.
If you’re in a foodie rut, these Savory Zucchini Oats (Zoats) are sure to pull you out.
Enjoy them as an easy savory breakfast, brunch, lunch, or even dinner.
For toppings, I chose avocado, cherry tomato, sesame seeds, pepitas, and cilantro.
At first it feels totally weird to load up your oats with with seems like salad toppers, but after you try a spoonful you’ll be glad you did.
Plus, technically avocados and tomatoes are “fruit” anyway, right?
If you’re really feeling adventurous, try serving with a spoonful of tahini, because why not?
If you make these Savory Zucchini Oats (Zoats), let me know!
Be sure to leave me a comment, rating, and review so I can use your feedback to create more yams.
Love this post and want more? Go to my homepage and subscribe to get updates delivered right to your inbox!
Savory oats with zucchini spirals, spinach, avocado, and cherry tomato. Seasoned with nutritional yeast and topped with herbs and seeds. Perfect for a savory breakfast, brunch, or lunch!
- 1 cup GF old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup Cece’s Veggie Co. Zucchini Spirals
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 2 TBSP pumpkin seeds
- Himalayan sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Combine the oats, zucchini spirals, and almond milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat until simmering, then reduce heat to medium and cook for 8-10 minutes. Add more almond milk as needed to reach desired consistency– I like mine thick!
- Stir in the spinach and nutritional yeast and leave on the heat on until the spinach wilts.
- Divide oatmeal between two bowls and top with avocado, cherry tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, and cilantro.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
- Category: Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Oil-Free
This post is brought to you by Cece’s Veggie Co., but all words and eats are my own. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that keep me hungry!