Satisfy your chocolate cravings with these oil free, gluten free, and refined sugar free muffins that are packed with fruits and vegetables!
If you’ve been hanging with me for a while, you know that muffins hold a special place in my kitchen.
(Read about me for my back story on my obsessions with all things muffin!)
Needless to say, I’m really excited to share these Double Chocolate Double Green Zucchini Muffins!
They’re kind of the superhero of muffins because they have special powers.
They take ordinary greens and transform them into mouth watering bites of chocolate.
Pretty cool, right?
I’m going through a serious “hidden greens” phase right now and these muffins are my latest experiment in their disappearing act.
They not only have one, but TWO greens hiding under their oatmeal exterior.
In the last phases of mixing, I remembered some extra spinach in the fridge and on impulse threw it in the blender with the zucchini to grate.
Double chocolate, double green.
Let’s play a word association game. When I say “oil free muffin” do you see images of dried out crumbly muffins running across your mind?
Well, that must be some other muffin, because these Double Chocolate Double Green Zucchini Muffins are anything but!
Biting into them is like diving headfirst into the creamiest bowl of chocolate zoats.
I attribute their super moist texture to the addition of almond milk yogurt.
Baking with almond milk yogurt is a great way to make recipes creamier without using any added oils.
These muffins are perfect for meal prep to enjoy as breakfasts or snacks throughout the work week.
I like to make a full batch on Sunday, leave half out for the week, and freeze the second half for later.
Try them with a steaming almond milk latte and a good morning read for the best wakeup.
They also significantly brighten those days when all you can do is shove a muffin in your purse and eat on the go.
If you make these Double Chocolate Double Green Zucchini Muffins let me know!
I’d love to hear what you think.
Check out my Pinterest page to pin more recipe like this one to make later!
If you love this post and want more? Go to my homepage and subscribe to get updates delivered right to your inbox!
Satisfy your chocolate cravings with these oil free, gluten free, and refined sugar free muffins. You won’t believe they are packed with fruits and vegetables!
- 1 flax egg (1 TBSP flaxseed + 3 TBSP filtered water)
- 8 oz. unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup gluten free old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 small over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 c. plain almond milk yogurt
- 1/4 c. pure maple syrup
- 1/3 c. dark dairy-free mini chocolate chips
- 1 heaping c. grated unpeeled zucchini
- 1 giant handful of spinach, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 °F and prepare a muffin pan with liners and set aside.
- Place oat flour, oats, cacao powder and baking powder in a medium mixing bowl and toss with a fork to combine.
- Prepare your flax egg in a large mixing bowl by whisking together flaxseed and water and allow to gel for 5 minutes. Next, add banana and lightly smash with a fork. Add the maple syrup, shredded zucchini, grated spinach, yogurt, and almond milk and stir to combine.
- Pour dry mixture into the wet mixture and stir. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide batter between lined muffins tins and top each muffin with additional chocolate chips.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes until lightly browned and firm to the touch.
- Store muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days and freeze for long term storage.
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Oil-Free, Refined Sugar-Free
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning I earn a commission if you use these links. I only recommend brands I love, trust, and can’t keep quiet about!